Who We Are
Lakehills United Methodist Church is a local congregation of the larger United Methodist Church. We are part of the Rio Texas annual conference in the Hill Country District. Our congregation has members from around our area, including Lakehills, Pipe Creek, Mico and even Helotes.
If there were one word to describe this congregation, it is ACTIVE. Lakehills UMC is active in our community. We seek to build relationships with our neighbors. Our members serve as mentors for those seeking a pathway out of poverty, volunteer in our TWIGS after-school program, deliver Meals on Wheels, volunteer their time as a part of their local volunteer fire departments and many, many other activities. To be a part of this congregation is to live out our faith everywhere we are.
As Christians and United Methodists, we believe the following:
· There is but one living and true God. In the unity of this Godhead there are three persons, of one substance, power, and eternity—the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
· Jesus is the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father. He was both fully divine and fully human. He lived our lives, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried.
· Christ did truly rise from the dead. He sits at the right hand of the Father and will come again to judge the living and the dead.
· The Holy Scripture contained within the Old Testament and New Testament contains all things necessary to salvation. It is the inspired Word of God.
· Humanity is sinful, and we fall short of God’s glory. We all sin, and yet God’s love for us is unending. God’s love redeems us and makes us new.
· God sent His only Son Jesus Christ as the perfect example of God’s love, to teach us, to heal us, to offer us hope, to die and to rise again so that we might have new and abundant life in His name.
· The Holy Spirit is the Lord and giver of life, who spoke through the prophets, and continues to work through God’s people to build up the Kingdom of God.
· The Kingdom of God is at hand. God’s kingdom is not only some heaven far away, waiting for us after death. As we follow Jesus and His teachings, empowered by the Holy Spirit we live further into God’s kingdom where God’s will is done on earth as it is in heaven.
These beliefs are based on the United Methodist Articles of belief, the Nicene Creed and the Lord’s prayer, as taught by Jesus Christ. For further information on the United Methodist Church, please visit www.umc.org .
As United Methodist Christians, our mission is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. We do this in a number of ways, but in all of them, we hope that we follow Jesus in a way that truly good news for all people.
The story of Lakehills United Methodist Church stretches back to 1956... In the spring of 1956, teams from the Bandera Methodist Church surveyed the Medina Lake Area to see if there was a need for a mission church.
The Southwest Texas Conference decided to work through the Bandera Methodist Church and their pastor, David Stewart. On June 14, 1959, AB Lewis, a local pastor appointed to assist the Rev. Stewart, led the first worship service for the Lakehills Methodist Mission. The service was held in a tent on Robert and Irene Zigler's property located at 10th street and Ave J. The sermon title was What It Means to Follow Jesus, there were 31 people in attendance, the offering was $14.14, and Sunday School Classes were organized that day. By July 26, 1959, attendance had increased to 69.On August 2, 1959, the Medina Lake Methodist Church was organized with 23 charter members. Mr. & Mrs. Zigler donated the land and AB Lewis became the first pastor.
The first fellowship hall was added in 1962, and the Medina Lake Volunteer Fire Department held their first meeting there.
In 1967, the church was remodeled and renamed. All the remodeling work was done by members and friends of the newly renamed Lakehills United Methodist Church. A Dedication Service and Mortgage Burning Ceremony was held in June of 1969.
Another remodeling project began in 1979. A new sanctuary was built, the fellowship hall enlarged, and the office, nursery and choir room were all added during this project. The Consecration Service for the new sanctuary was held on May 4, 1980.
There was a parsonage added in 1988, and in 1992, a fund drive was held to raise money to build a new sanctuary. Construction of the new building began in October of 1992, and it was consecrated in May of 1993 in a service with then District Superintendent Rev. Shirley Hill presiding.
In March of 2001 the first Annual Fish Fry, Auction, Games and More was organized. This is Lakehills UMC's one big fund raiser of the year, and the Fish Fry continues to be a big celebration in the community.
In October of 2002, a new fund drive got off the ground. With this Capital Funds Campaign, Lakehills UMC has purchased a new parsonage in the Scenic Harbour subdivision, remodeled the kitchen in the fellowship hall, and re-paved the parking lot. Lakehills UMC borrowed almost $300,000 from the bank for this project, and paid off the entire mortgage by April of 2008.
In 2009, we celebrated our 50th anniversary with a special Sunday Service that included testimonials from members and previous pastors, and a mortgage burning. The guest speaker was our District Superintendent, the Rev. Bob Allen.
In May of 2010, the property at the corner of Ave J and 10th street was purchased, and one of the buildings on that property has been converted into a full-time youth room.
In 2011, we continue to pursue the mission of Jesus in and around the area.
We are now, in 2016, about to undertake a new building project. This will replace and expand our Fellowship Hall to allow us to expand our Ministries to the community.